On my debian box:

$THERION is not set, even if Xtherion is running (echo $THERION shows
nothing)

xtherion ini is on ~/src/therion/xtherion/xtherion.ini. No search for
xtherion.ini seems to be done in xtherion directory.

So, after editing xtherion.ini, I need to move it manually under
/etc. Else, Xtherion runs with default values since .ini
file is not found. I think it should be made by "make install"
automatically

Regards,
Roman