I finally got round to uploading the work I did in January to Debian
proper. So there is now a current Therion in unstable as well as
experimental, and the various long-standing bugs are fixed.

The new packages use texlive instead of tetex, as Debian has
transitioned to these, and the wiki docs are included in the
therion-docs package (that's currently the wiki docs as of about a
year ago. I'll update those too shortly).

The package now appears in Applications/Science/Geoscience in line with
current menu policy (I'll do an update of Survex with this property too
soon).

You can see current package status here:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/t/therion.html
and build logs here:
http://buildd.debian.org/pkg.cgi?pkg=therion

Please try them out if you can and report any problems.

I've included the current debian diff below in case Stacho wishes to
include any of it upstream (I'm afraid I've trampled all over your
nice multiplatform build stuff stacho, but a few bits of the diff are
probably worth incorporating upstream).

This has raised a few issues worthy of note.

1) 64-bit loch

Wolfgang Zillig reported in April that he couldn't get loch to work on
his AMD64 box. It doesn't work on mine either. I'll post more details
in that thread.

2) gcc warnings

The therion code generates hundreds of warnings if you do a build with
default gcc4.2.2 like this:
thdataleg.h:141: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*'
thdataleg.h:141: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*'
thdataleg.h:141: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*'

I've worked around that for now using -Wno-write-strings but I think
the correct fix is to use const in the function prototypes to match
the  declarations. You can see a log of the full set of whinges
here if someone wants to go through them:
http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=therion;ver=0.5.0-2;arch=ia64;stamp=1199241505

The gcc docs suggest that -Wno-deprecated should also stop these
warnings, but that doesn;t seem to work. Not sure if I was just having
finger trouble/too much beer over xmas there, but it really didn't
seem to stop them all.

3) New sample data

I had a bit of trouble building this, so it's not in the current
package, but I've worked it out now (paths and dependencies was the
issue) and so will integrate it into the docs package on the next
upload.

It's a nice piece of work. Is this intended to replace the wiki docs
eventually?

4) tcl version.

Does Therion care if tcl 8.4 or 8.5 is used? I've left it defaulting
8.4 for now, but I guess 8.5 would work and would be preferred? A
quick test suggests that it works fine.

5) library linkages:
The shared-library analyser points out that we link to all the wxgtk
libs but only actually use some of them. This is wrong.

dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/therion-viewer/usr/bin/loch shouldn't
be linked with libwx_gtk2u_xrc-2.6.so.0 (it uses none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/therion-viewer/usr/bin/loch shouldn't
be linked with libwx_gtk2u_qa-2.6.so.0 (it uses none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/therion-viewer/usr/bin/loch shouldn't
be linked with libwx_gtk2u_adv-2.6.so.0 (it uses none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/therion-viewer/usr/bin/loch shouldn't
be linked with libwx_baseu_xml-2.6.so.0 (it uses none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/therion-viewer/usr/bin/loch shouldn't
be linked with libwx_baseu_net-2.6.so.0 (it uses none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/therion-viewer/usr/bin/loch shouldn't
be linked with libvtkImaging.so.5.0 (it uses none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/therion-viewer/usr/bin/loch shouldn't
be linked with libvtkIO.so.5.0 (it uses none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/therion-viewer/usr/bin/loch shouldn't
be linked with libz.so.1 (it uses none of its symbols).

I think the reason is that the build uses:
$(shell wx-config --libs --gl-libs) to list the wx libs so gets all of
them. I haven't fixed this yet as I'm not sure what the best fix is.
Should we just list the libs that actually are used, or is there a way
to use wx-config to DTRT?

6) No desktop files

Therion doesn't appear to have any desktop files so it doesn't appear
in the main menus of xfce/gnome/kde. Anyone done any, or care to do
some?

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  Balloonz - Toby Churchill - Aleph One - Debian
http://wookware.org/