> associated with the previous trip. He wasn't on that trip though, and that
> would mess up the historical value of my documentation, because it would be
> innacurate :-).

I think I understand. The problem is, that neither centerline nor
survey object represents survey trip :(

To model your situation correctly, we should probably create a "trip"
object with some properties like people, where it was, what was done
etc... and than centerline data could be linked with one or more
"trip" objects. But I am afraid, it would complicate things a little
bit...

I am not sure, whether it works (I hope :) and whether it will help
you, but you should be able to put several dates within same
centerline:

date 2007.12.31
team "Person A"
team "Person B"

date 2008.01.01
team "Person B"
team "Person C"
team "Person D"

and the second date will not overwrite the first one (both dates will
be taken into consideration). Like this your data should be correct,
or not?

> surveying has signatures that Union soldiers scratched into the walls during
> the Siege of Chattanooga in 1863. It would be nice to be able to include the
> name of the historian that determined this, since the signatures will
> probably be indicated on the map. I know of no way to do this however, since
> no survey data was collected on that trip.

Should this name appear also between surveyors?

Regards, S.