Well, I understand your confusion, the problem is, that this behavior
is because of program design:

If you hit Ctrl+L or Ctrl+A, an object is immediately created and
therefore you can edit types or options.

If you hit Ctrl+P, no object is created - you are just switched to the
point insertion mode. Point is created after you click on the
position.

I see just one solution to your problem. When you switch to point
insertion mode, point dialog will be enabled and changes you have made
to this dialog will be applied to the first point inserted. Would it
help you?

Regards, S.