In most databases, transactions are not needed for SQL imports. Their
purpose is to ensure that a partial operation does not get committed
to the database. For example if a system was transferring money from
one account to another you would not want the withdrawl of an amount
from the paying account to occur without being guaranteed that the
payment was credited to the receiving account. The transaction
begin/commit statements provide this guarantee. Either everything
inside the transaction begin/end will be committed to the database, or
none of it will.

For SQL import of Therion data it would seem unnecessary unless it was
really important to you that if you stopped the import part way
through then all the import was rolled back and none of the data
written into the database. More commonly with large data imports of
complete tables you do not want to use transactions as this slows down
the operation, and if it was to fail for some reason (like an error in
the SQL script) then you can just drop and recreate the tables to
reset the database ready to try again.

Footleg