Now I am on the computer where I was playing with these VRML models, I
can confirm that the viewer I was using was ParaView
http://paraview.org/

I've just checked, and it can export to POV-Ray format, the open
source ray tracing software which can be used to produce very high
quality rendering.

Footleg