Talking about user symbols: is there a way to hide them in a thconfig file?

So far, my experience is that symbol-hide is not working for these
symbols, the only way I found to hide them is to redefine them to nothing:

layout Preview_layout
   copy LayoutTopoXav
   # ... Hiding lots of symbols

   # symbol-hide line u:fracture
  # Does not work: unknown symbol specification -- line u:fracture

   code metapost
       def l_u_fracture (expr P) = enddef;
   endcode
endlayout