Hi Bruce, I'm happy to be a distraction in the Middle-Earth survey :-)
Are you somehow approaching the end of this survey? I guess we should
hope the contrary, and that the cave should always continue a bit (or
rather a lot) further.  Say hello to Michael for me.

Thanks for your answer, that was very helpful to better identify the
problem. I'm using 5.3.15 so everything should work similarly for me.
Actually offset is working properly (I did not thought of trying that)
but I discovered that the behavior of preview above/below is dependent
of the number of layers of maps.

My map with the preview is very similar to yours:
     map Coupe300_StFrancois
         title "Pous RG16 - Quartier Saint-Francois<br>Coupe 300 degrés"
         projection [elevation 300 deg]
         Coupe300_StFrancoisDepilage
         # Coupe300_StFrancoisTBP4 [0 10 m] below ## working properly if
uncommented
         preview below Coupe300_StFrancoisTBP4 # here is the problem
      endmap

If I select this map (select Coupe300_StFrancois at PousRG16) in the
thconfig, then I got the expected behavior as in your case (file
Coupe300_StFrancois.pdf). However, this map is normally recombined with
other projection maps to draw the complete elevation, as done below:
     map Coupe300
         title "Pous RG16 - Coupe 300 degrés"
         projection [elevation 300 deg]
         # Here could be another map
         Coupe300_StFrancois
     endmap
Selecting this higher level map (even with no other maps included as
here) does not display the preview (file Coupe300.pdf).

However it is said in the Thbook that "Preview is displayed only if the
map is in the map-level level as specified by the select command. Use
the revise command if you want to add maps from higher levels to the
preview."  And indeed, when I use "select Coupe300 at PousRG16 -map-level
2" in my thconfig file, then the preview is displayed.  The map-level
apparently seems to have to match exactly the number of layers
(-map-level 3 or more does not display it) while I would have expected
that all maps up to a certain level would be shown.

I am  wondering what is the underlying reason for this behavior and if
anyone would have an example of the use of the "revise" command to
overload the behavior (I have to admit that the revise command remains
pretty obscure to me).

Xavier