I agree with Bruce on the suggestion NOT to erase the options when
changing the type of a symbol: this feature is useful when we draw
everything right on the first shot, but when correcting errors in types
(or refining the drawing from a first draft), it often create new
unnoticed errors by erasing the options.

Xavier