I had this problem a while ago (actually soon after I used the very
useful feature of user symbols).
The way to get around is to redefine the symbol to nothing in your layout:

   ## hide user define symbols
   # symbol-hide line u:mylinesymbol
   code metapost
     def l_u_mylinesymbol (expr P) = enddef;
  endcode

Of course it would be better to have symbol-hide working on user-defined
symbols but this is still feasible in many cases.

Hope that helps.

Xavier