Thanks for explanation.

Nick,

in there are structures of survey and maps absolutely independent. So there is
not necessary to have all survey data in one .th file. You may connect them in
survey in upper level.

For me the idea structure is:

survey trip_1 #survey on base level
input trip_1_plan.th2
data
…
enddata

map trip_1.map
   trip_1_scrap_1
endmap
endsurvey

survey small_cave #survey defining of all cave
input trip_1
input trip_2
…
map small_cave.map
   trip_1.map at trip_1
   trip_2.map at trip_2
   …
endmap

map small_cave_connection_only #definition of another map
   trip_1_scrap_1 at trip_1
   trip_3_scrap_2 at trip_3
endmap
endsurvey

Advantage of this structure is you may named stations a1, a2, a3, …. and
never renamed them in upper levels of survey. Much better than on level 1
renamed them to a1 at trip_1. You may check your export PDF for one scrap and
use the same data if you check the plan of overall cave.

I hope it is clear for you

Martin