>if there isn't entrance definition Therion calculates altitude difference
from bottom most or from upper most station.

?????

And what if there is an entrance defined?  Or many entrances at various
altitudes?  Or many caves defined for that matter?  What does Therion do?
(I have not often checked, but any anomalies I found I assumed were my
mistakes).

Surely the best estimate Therion can make of cave depth is always the
altitude difference between the bottom-most and top-most station of the
caves selected for export?

(ignoring for now niceties of splays or up-down dimensions)

Bruce