I would like a pdf map, that contains all the submaps on their own layers, and
with offsets and previews visible.

I have been trying to make sense of –map-level as it relates to exporting map
outputs, and referring to the Therion Book.

• map-level <number> ◃ valid only when a map is selected. Determines the
level at

which map expansion for atlas export is stopped. By default 0 is used; if
‘basic’ is

specified, expansion is done up to the basic maps. Note: Map previews are
displayed

only as specified in maps in the current map-level.

So as documented it seems to apply only to atlas exports, however as discussed
previously on this forum it is useful in map exports as it can place each
submap on it’s own layer in the resulting pdf file.  This is what I would
like to achieve, however doing so has the disadvantage of hiding offset
passages (and their previews).  The preview hiding is hinted at in the Therion
Book, but not the offset hiding.

So experimenting…

select SpanishParrotPlanMap     -map-level 0

…selects only the top level map for export and results in a pdf with 3
layers, preview above, SpanishParrotPlanMap and preview below.  Because I have
specified an offset below in one of the sub-maps, the preview below layer
contains the shaded passage shape, and the map-connection points are displayed
in the SpanishParrotPlanMap layer.

This seems to be exactly the same as the default behaviour resulting from…

select SpanishParrotPlanMap     #ie no map-level specified.

The above are the pdf map characteristics I want, but in addition, sometimes, I
want a layer for each submap.

select SpanishParrotPlanMap     -map-level 1

… should perhaps achieve what I want, but I find I have no offset and no
preview below.  I do however have a layer for each submap as well as empty
layers for preview above and below.

So lets try selecting both flavours of the map…

select SpanishParrotPlanMap     -map-level 0

select SpanishParrotPlanMap     -map-level 1

Some improvement. I have an offset, and map and submap layers in the pdf,
ordered according to the order of my select statements.  BUT the preview layer
is empty and the map-connection point dashed lines to not display.

Other variants I tried…

select SpanishParrotPlanMap     -map-level 1 -map-level 0

…this only creates output based on the last –map-level statement.  So it
should probably throw a warning or error.

select SpanishParrotPlanMap     -map-level 0, 1 # causes error

select SpanishParrotPlanMap     -map-level 0 1 # causes error

select SpanishParrotPlanMap     -map-level [0 1] # causes error

So is there a way to specify the creation of a pdf layer for each submap, while
retaining the preview, offset and map-connection visibility?

As an aside, in 2011 I requested an easy toggle for offsets.
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.therion/2759/match=offset

It would seem that the current behaviour of –map-level can be used to achieve
this for exported maps.  Not sure how it affects exported atlas, but I’m not
going to worry about that until another day.

Bruce