On 2016-09-23 13:37 +0100, Wookey wrote:
> On 2016-09-22 20:52 +0200, cawa.so...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I look for a software to use a distoX on linux, I found for windows,
> > android, but nothing on linux.
> > Do you know if a linux soft exist ?
>
> Sort-of. The situation is not great. You can download, but not calibrate, in
> my experience.

> The other codebase is Marco Corvi's precursor to topodroid: topolinux
> The drawing part of that codebase, using QT3 is competely obsolete,
> but the distoX tools comms part is still useful. I got it to download
> data, and calibration numbers but I never got it to successfully
> calculate new calibrations and upload them. It was 90% there but there
> were problems with different tools ordering data in different ways. I
> never got round to fixing it.
>
> It would be good if someone got enthused to fix up this code and then
> we could do calibrations without needing a windows PDA or laptop to
> run pockettopo, or an android device to run topodroid. As I own
> neither of those things I would really like to see this fixed, but
> still haven't got round to it as it's usually expedition time and it's
> easier to borrow a suitable device than to stop and fiddle with
> software :-)
>
> I would be keen to work with anyone who has some time for this, to
> resurrect the 'utils' part of that codebase in working form.

So, thanks to me giving a competent person (who also doesn't own any
Windows or Android devices) a couple of distoX's that needed
calibration, the software situation just improved.

Stuart Bennett wrote a python script to do the device detection, calib
toggling, data dumping and calib coefficient upload/dpownload, and
another to convert csv to the format that topolinux calibration code
expects.

Combining these bits with a sufficiently-recent (>=0.2) pybluez, I
managed to dicover device, set up connection, pair, set calibration
mode, do a calibration, download the data, process it with topolinux,
and upload the resulting coefficients. i.e. a full linux-based
calibration (for a distoX1 only so far), for the first time in about 6
years. Yay!

So thanks to Stuart for sorting that. The script is handy in that it
deals with discovery, pairing and rfcomm setup painlessly.

At the moment this only works with python3 and distoX1, But Stuart
plans to use the topodroid codebase to work out the differences for the
X2 protocol (unless anyone has a doc for this already, or Marco can
tell him).

Then the code really needs to be made python2 compatible, because
Debian fucked-up and accidentlaly uploaded pyblues 0.18 source as
pybluez 0.22, so the forthcoming stable will only have bluetooth
support for python2, so this will remain the situation for the next 2
years. This is just the byte-string construction, which is easy and
native in python3, but a bit of a pain in python2.

Once this is sorted, I plan to package this (i.e these scripts and the
calib utilities from topolinux codebase) as distoxtools or something
similar so that linux people can easily calibrate/download.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/