> 10. 7. 2017 v 12:08, Bruce Mutton via Therion <therion@speleo.sk>:
>
> Before I wiki-ise it, I’d like some feedback, or criticism, as appropriate!
> Is it helpful? (I think so)

Hi Bruce and all,

after many years of experimenting I made a presentation of What is behind
Therion. You may download it here: http://studiosluka.eu/therion/
<http://studiosluka.eu/therion/> The most difficult for me was to understand
the principle of name spaces, what is normal way of thinking for authors of
Therion. But at the end I did it, I hope.

As you probably know, all Therion’s data could be only in one file, including
centerline, comments, log, maps and layout. Examples of such files made by
Stacho were in Sample folder of Therion source code in former versions. By
command „input“ you may add to therion file any piece of plain text code. So it
doesn’t matter, if you’ll have all your .th files in separate file and you add
them all by simple "input index_th.thc“ command to survey in higher level, or
you’ll list them all in that survey. The same with equates, joins, logs, maps,
…

You may organize in the same way smaller parts of cave system as:
index_th_north_branch.thc, index_equate_north_branch.thc,
index_join_north_branch.thc index_map_north_branch.thc, etc. and input them one
by one.

The same is possible to do with th2 files. The fastest way, how to work with
Therion map editor is to have only one small scrap in one th2 file. And input
all particular scrap to survey one by one.

Everything, what is in particular survey used as „source“ in thconfig is
available to compilation. But everything, what is outside that survey is not
available.

I started to use .scrap and .map „extensions in names of scraps and maps.
Simply to be sure, what is what. It is more easy to add to scrap name from
other surveyor „.scrap", then to correct his/her way to my  scrap names
convention. And I started to use really long names for scraps and maps, to be
from first sight sure, what that piece of text means.

Therion is able to collect all informations available in „source“ file and its
name space. But not in all case it is what we want. So I prefer to use
obligatory „select“ command in thconfig and select only one map definition.
(thanks, Martin Budaj)

Because of better description of what is particular thconfig for I prefer to
use extension .thconfig for configuration files. So I’ll use
north_branch.thconfig instead thconfig file in folder North_Branch.

I use base survey as really base survey, with all informations about that
particular survey trip, if possible with commented each survey shot (ignore
all) and better all shots (but is more or less theory). It includes map
definition too, just to check of drawing. In this case I don’t need to use any
additional commands in header of survey or scrap. I simply follow numbering of
stations as in centerline. All connections of data in higher surveys are made
in by Therion’s name space convention with @ syntax. I apologize to Survex
developers, but it is for me more logical way, because it allows me to use
extension for scraps, maps an to use original data from Toporobot or
PocketTopo. In this base survey I may define several maps if necessary for each
particular scrap and select only one of them. There could be a map definition
for all scraps together too.

In this way I input only .th files from lover levels, because .th2 files are
inputed in them yet and I don’t need to voodoo with names of stations.

My data structure is simple:

my_cave
      my_cave.thconfig
      my_cave.th
      data
         north_branch                            — folder
              north_branch_170321                — folder
                    north_branch.thconfig
                    north_branch_170321.th
                    north_branch_scrap1_170321.th2
                    north_branch_scrap2_170321.th2
                    north_branch_scrap3_170321.th2
                    scans                         — folder
                    output                        — folder
              north_branch_170514                 — folder

         south_branch                             — folder

      index                                       — folder
      output                                      — folder
m.s.