Yes, the location is flexible. I think it was that way in the old installer
too.
But there are also global Start menu shortcuts and registry entries that go
into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. For those the installer needs admin rights. If it
doesn't have them, it comes down again to the All users vs Current user
problem.

Vlad