Well, in my mind, clay is a more specifically defined substance based on
mineral content and particle size. Mud is larger particles, more organics,
and less homogenous. Clay is what you make pots from and is less frequent
in Canadian caves in my experience, but I probably would have used our mud
symbol to draw it. I guess in my mind clay belongs to the set of mud not
vice-versa. Semantics I know but there is a reason I was so stuck on it. In
Canada we have been using a symbol for mud, see  link to a map of a
well-known cave:

http://www.canmorecavetours.com/images/Images/RNC_Map/CanmoreCaveTours-RatsNestCaveMap02.png
.

It would seem like a break in tradition to use a different symbol for mud.
I've been surveying caves for 20 years with this symbol. As far as I
understood, we were using British mapping symbols because of the large
number of British cavers like Mike Boon and Tich Morris, and others who
came over because of Derek Ford at McMaster University. I used to have a
huge list of symbols with this mud symbol included, I can't find anything
to back this up several pages deep on google. You will notice that the UIS
calcite symbol is exactly the mud symbol in Canada whereas our calcite
symbol is connected scallops. Not sure if this is based of some now defunct
british symbols set.

I see the UIS symbols have no mud symbol so I guess clay it is, even though
clay is not a standard UIS symbol just a member of the set clastic
sediments. Is that ASF symbols distinction that therion is using??

I guess you could say this is clear as mud eh?

Rob Countess
Canadian caver