At long last I thought I'd try out the new font-setup layout syntax and
min-symbol-scale.  There has been no feedback since it was released so I
assumed all must be working perfectly.  I have found some issues though.

The min-symbol-scale does not seem to hide wall point altitudes.  A bug I
presume.

And there are some new disciplines to drawing, like it you don't make your
arrows have the same -scale as the labels they are associated with, things
look a bit odd with some min-symbol-scale combinations. That is OK, just
something new to do.

However, min-symbol-scale l and min-symbol-scale xl both tend to hide the
cave walls, which naturally enough have -scale m by default I suppose. This
is problematic, as it tends to hide the very essence of the cave map that
one wants to emphasize by hiding the smaller symbols!  It just leaves behind
areas, map-connections, and xl symbols and text.

I am hoping to get to the point where I can hide all text except that which
is larger than -scale xl.  ie I'd like to use something like
min-symbol-scale xl to hide most text and symbols, and fonts-setup to set
the size of xl to 0.  Then I am hoping that any text that has a -scale
(number) that happens to be greater than the size of xl will continue to be
displayed.  Useful for applying labels to the likes of overview maps, say at
1:5000. Liberal usage of symbol-hide as well.

I abandoned trying this just now due to the problem with displaying walls.

fonts-setup works similar to  the old original code metapost
fonts_setup(6,8,10,12,16); but seems to have too many checks and
limitations.

They both have the problem that you cannot set the font size to zero (you
get error code 3).   Setting the metapost font size to 0.01 works, but you
do get messy dots and extra file size, as the text is still in the pdf.

fonts-setup layout does not like having font sizes out of order (each must
be larger than the next) and if not it crashes.  I would prefer a warning,
as I can imagine uses where one might want to hide the largest text only, or
to have some -scales equal.  fonts-setup also complains if the size for xs
is 0.01

I wonder if fonts-setup could include some coding trick to allow a font size
of zero to remove the text from the output?

And allow more flexibility in fonts-setup usage?

I am using 5.4.1 + 88c8a06

Bruce