I'll just post the image again.

We are dealing with absolute altitudes, height above sea level, here, as per
the established Therion implementation.  (I don’t think we can do depth of cave
numbering down from the highest point.  Or have I just forgotten?)

On the left is the new development release, which has the altitudes reported
upside down.

On the right is the previous development release, which quite reasonably has
the highest altitudes at the top.

If there is tinkering going on with the altitude legend, then control over the
number of divisions would be desirable.  For example I prefer the 6 boxes on
the right to the 7 boxes on the left. I can imagine that control over the
number of boxes, from say 3 to 10 would be helpful, so users can control the
look and how much space the altitude legend takes up.

Bruce