Hello Martin,
is the blow limit of 4096 scraps still valid in the current version?
Or is it already fixed so we can use more scraps?

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Carl Magnuson <magnu213 at umn.edu> wrote:
It looks like the solution is to issue the following metapost command:
warningcheck := 0;

Indeed. The new limit will be 32768 and could not be increased further
in Metapost itself.

The solution would be modification of how therion manages metapost
pictures (currently they are stored in files data.1 to data.4000, with
files data.4001 to data.4095 reserved for pattern definitions). This
numbering scheme could be modified to allow more file name prefixes
and consequently theoretically unlimited number of scraps processed by
metapost.

On the other hand there is still pdfTeX limit which would not allow
much more scraps. PdfTeX uses internal registers for scraps
referencing (scrap data is included only once in pdf file and can be
referenced on multiple pages). You could avoid pdftex limit by using
SVG output (if SVG viewers would process large number of internal