On 2018-11-05 10:27 +0100, Torsten Schnitter via Therion wrote:
> Hi Bruce
>
> I'm using Windows 7 (64bit).
> Normally and right now I just used a double click to open the ini files.
> The default is notepad.exe to open these files.
> This editor does not show the line feeds in a correct way.
>
> I now tested it with following programms:
> - Visual Studio Code
> - Notepad++
> - UltraEdit-32
> - Wordpad
> All these programms show the line feeds in a correct way.
>
> In my opinion the file is OK. It's using 0x0D and 0x0A for a line feed (CR+LF)
> which is the correct way as far as I know.

Correct on DOS/Windows, not elsewhere, and it's actually probably just
being shown like that, but not _actually_ like that on disc.

> So the problem is obviously "Notepad.exe".

Indeed it is (mostly).

The issue is the difference between Unix lineends, windows/DOS lineends and
macos lineends.
unix uses 0x0A (10), Macos Uses 0x0D (14) and DOS/Windows uses both (0x0D,0x0A).

Most editors can cope with this and will try to show you something
that looks sensible on your screen whichever one it finds. i.e. any of
those 3 combination will cause a new line (and the DOS version doesn't
do _two_ new lines). If you think about it this is actually quite
difficult to get right in all circumstances, and can only be done by
'translating' a file at load and save time from whatever convention it
uses to 'native'. If a file ends up being 'half and half' Unix and DOS
lineends then editors have almost no hope of showing things as
originally intended, because they can't tell what is 'right'.

Notepad is famous for being very old and rather stupid about this
- it only shows DOS linefeeds correctly. It ignores the unix linefeed
and thus puts unix-linefeed files all on one line. Not sure what it
does if you give it a mac file.

Version control systems also sometimes do this translation so that
files 'come out right' wherever you checked them out, but they are
still identical when checked back in/compared.

The original therion.ini file is presumably unix linefeeds so notepad
is showing it all on one line. That's expected behaviour, even if it's
not very helpful. Upstream could try to make different lineends for
all the files in the windows and unix and mac versions of therion, but
that's work and could cause other difficulties. Mostly if you just
avoid notepad because it's really very shit that's probably best.

> May be it's a good advice not to use notepad.exe. ;-)

That is indeed good advice.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/