Hi Bruce,

> To see what Therion is interpreting from your input, cave-list and
> survey-list are a good compliment to the map output statistics.

Indeed - this is what made me realise I was probably doing it the wrong
way for Therion to understand. It is definitely a pain having to split
up surveys, but the resulting structure will make more sense in future.

> Surface survey is not counted as cave survey, so the statistics are not
> reported on map outputs.

This is a real shame. People who put in work should be recognised for
that work, no matter which part of the survey they take part in. I have
no problem at all with the part saying "the cave is this long" - which
should of course only use the "not surface" part. But it is wrong for
the map to say "this person surveyed 50 metres" or to ignore them
completely, when they actually produced 1km of surface survey that
allowed all of the other surveys to be linked together in the correct
positions.

I would dearly love some option to say "include surface legs in
topo-length statistics". Really hoping you missed something, but you
seem to know the program as well as anyone, so if you don't know of such
an option then ... :(

Guess I should file it as a feature request.

> Yes you do need to structure your data to define which trips belong to
> which caves. I would also have an overall surface survey to contain all
> of the surface trips.

A load of great advice, thanks :)

I have basically now done all of this.

(I also switched to using a new centreline when the team changes - this
is a pain though, because it means any calibration, copyright, date,
authorship, etc. also has to be repeated. It would be so much easier for
it to respect group.)

Thanks again for all the assistance.

Tarquin