Yes, I have long wanted control of line ornamentation size (as opposed to line
thickness), with th2 statements like;

line wall -scale xs...

line floor-step xs...

do not throw an error, but also do not have any effect on what is drawn.

They seem not to be parsed to any of the standard line metapost code.  I was
playing with this idea in 2012 and got nowhere.

What if you include the scale in a line definition, like is done with the
standard point definitions, and work from there?

def p_stalagmite_UIS(expr pos,theta,sc,al) =

def l_wall_sand_SKBB (expr P) =

So maybe

def l_wall_sand_SKBB (expr P, sc) =

                if unknown sc: sc:=1; fi;  %assuming parsing sc can be optional

is a good start?  Seems like it should not be too hard -:)

I deduce that sc has already been converted from xs to 0.5 by something magic
in the Therion code by the time it gets to metapost.

I think scale m = 1, with the other values each scaled up or down by root 2.
Therefore xs = 0.5, xl = 2.0

Good luck

I’ll be watching with interest.

Bruce