> 1.  May want to reconsider the insertion (0,0) point of some points
> (wheelchair, drip and camera), although they might be OK also.

The result shown in your "map -map-fg-gray - symbols centred on grid.pdf" file
is exactly what I expected and wanted. What would you have in mind?

Not a biggy, I just thought the camera and water drip could move up a bit so
the insertion point is closer to the centroid of the bulk of the image.  And
wheelchair towards the upper right a bit.  Also the walkway points are good if
used in a plan view, but if they were inserted in an elevation, the insertion
point should be down between the feet if the person.  It is easy to make the
metapost ‘projection aware’ so should be easy enough to do.  This really is a
minor quibble though.

> 2.  Points gate, no-wheelchair, water-drip, and possibly human-bone, danger
> should probably allow the foreground/background colour to show through.

Of these I believe only gate should actually allow the background color to show
through. I believe the others actually work better this way as I even created
them with backgound color show through and changed them afterwards.

I guess it is just a matter of style preferences.  If we end up with a symbol
set with lots of hard coded white backgrounds, that is fine.  I just wonder if
they will look out of place with the current prevailing style that has
transparent symbol interiors.

About the gate point: making background color show through is kind of a black
magic in Metapost. As gate has several hollow spaces, it got harder than I
thought it was worthwhile but it can definitely be done.

> 3.  Points with multiple speleothems do not handle rotation well.  I think
> the existing Therion stalactites and stalagmites suffer from the same problem.

You made 2 PDFs with rotated symbols. The first one has some symbols that seem
off to me but the second one has the exact behaviour I want and expect. Was it
created without any align option, isn't it?

Options for these three images - Centred, centred and rotated, centred and
rotated aligned right

Left image is OK

Middle image has rotated the individual parts of the symbol, which is wrong.
It should rotate the symbol as a single unit.

Righthand image has same problem as the middle image, and in addition you can
see the parts are all moved down to the right.  However the align option used
was ‘right’ (I did not align the adjacent symbols, as doing that caused a
crash, as I mentioned earlier).

As far as I can see, it's all related to the order you choose to apply the
transformations. I used the align before the rotate. If you move the align to
be done after the rotate the behaviour changes. Maybe you could test a little
bit and propose a better order for the transformations after testing several
use cases.

Yes, if you swap align and rotate, all becomes well.  I did quite a lot of
testing.  Read all of this wiki section Symbol Sizing and Positioning
<https://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/metapost#symbol_sizing_and_positioning>

> 4.  The picture based symbols have no U: definition, so they crash Therion
> with metapost exit code – 2 if you try to align them.  They should have a
> reasonable U: parameter set.

I applied the align parameter to several of them and got no error. Can you send
a file where you see this issue?

OK, the cause is perhaps not what I thought.  Try rotating and aligning the
tree trunk in line 67 of the attached.  It at least causes the crash.  All of
the points in the preceding lines do not cause any problem.  Maybe there are
more problematic lines below that (short of time!)

> 5.  Points that can be aligned , have their (non-zero) rotation corrupted
> when they are both rotated and aligned.  You can see in the example that the
> speleothem points have been aligned bottom-right, when the th2 file says they
> should be aligned right).  This problem exists with all (almost) existing
> Therion points.  I have identified the cause and proposed a solution here
> <https://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/metapost#symbol_sizing_and_positioning>
> https://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/metapost#symbol_sizing_and_positioning but my
> metapost skills are very basic, so no doubt it could be improved upon.

I'm not sure I fully understand your issue. The result for rotated and right
aligned symbols seemed more intuitive to me when I inverted the align and the
rotate transformations in symbols. I bet that would be a nice change but I
wonder if you are talking about something more subtle that I have not fully
understood yet.

I think you have understood what I am referring to.  The situation where this
is most apparent and vexing in a real cave drawing is when using a point
water-flow, or point air-draught entering or leaving a passage (perpendicular
to a wall).  You want to align the symbol so that it plots correctly at a
variety of scales, but invoking the alignment makes it displace in entirely the
wrong direction.  It at first appears to be random, because it depends entirely
on the value of the rotation option.  But this is a live problem (bug) for
almost every point symbol currently in Therion.

Bruce

Rodrigo