It’s good to see that this is a viable option.  For my projects I’m not yet
ready to make the organisational changes and compromises it requires.  I mainly
want to include elevations in plans, both of which are produced in the same
thconfig compile, and have less interest in other images.

Since people have been thinking about it, perhaps someone can conceive another
work around?

To recap, my simplistic understanding is that using \def\maplayout{...
overrides the default /legendcontent (map-header) positioning on the pdf.  This
means that for some reason we cannot use map-image to place pictures (including
elevations etc) on the pdf.  Therefore we have to use \loadpicture{_ with semi
absolute paths to place pictures or other maps within our pdfs.

Is there a way that we can prevent map-image from being disabled when we use
\def\maplayout{...?

This wiki entry hints at another option, but I have not made sense of it.
There seems to be some key information missing.

https://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/tips?s[]=maplayout#map-image_and_custom_legendbox

<https://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/tips?s%5b%5d=maplayout#map-image_and_custom_legendbox>

Map-image and custom legendbox

If you customise your legendbox in the tex-map section of your configuration
file layout and use

\def\maplayout{...

    }

then map-image will not work. To work around this simply rename it as shown
below

\def\new_maplayout{

  \legendbox{0}{100}{NW}{

    \the\legendcontent

    }

Could it be possible to retain the default \maplayout and set map-header <x>
<y> off, retain its default map-image option using true relative paths, and
define a new maplayout (with a different name) to position a scalebar, north
arrow and a customised \legendcontent (map header)?

ie Can two maplayouts exist and plot one over the other?

I guess there might be a problem with the maps rendering twice, once for each
maplayout.

Seems like a silly question, but I had to ask it.

Bruce