Thanks, Bruce and Benedikt.  That answers my question and satisfies my
curiosity.

I am well aware of how Therion processes declination when going through the
survey data.  I take the trouble to make sure every set of survey data has a
date associated with it so that the declinations can be properly calculated.

As for putting declination on the map ... I have never done that and do not
plan to start.   I think it is not useful to have it on a map.  In 20 years (or
whenever) it will be wrong.  It is better to just leave it off.

One of my cave mapping friends always takes the trouble to make his north arrow
indicate both geographic and magnetic north.  He and I have not discussed this
feature of his maps, so I do not know what his reasoning is.  He is not a
Therion user.

--
Bill Gee