> I'm using for that purpose:
> flags duplicate
> Or is there a reason not using this for that?

"flags duplicate" means "Hi Therion, this is an underground leg. It goes
down a passage that we have already surveyed. Please do not add it to
the surveyed length."

Duplicate legs therefore do not add to the cave length. But they
definitely do contribute to the cave depth (if they happen to be the
highest or lowest point). And when you generate a .lox file or .3d file,
they will be treated as a cave passage, not a surface leg. Therion will
draw walls around them, and use them to determine the size of a cave
passage. Survex Aven will show them as an underground (but dashed) leg,
and will therefore make it look like the cave goes that way.

Similarly, "flags splay" for named stations will also not add to the
cave length. Therion will also not consider them to be part of the cave
depth (even though they could be the only way you measured up the
tallest aven, unfortunately). But they will tell Therion how to build
the cave walls with .lox files. They also get treated differently when
outputting extended elevations.

"flags surface" is the right thing to use for surface. You can even use
"flags surface duplicate" for surface legs that are duplicated, which
has no practical effect (except I think it might give different
calculations when you export a survey list).