I could not find a regular pattern to characterize more the problem so far.

Xavier

PS: My try with Therion 5.3.15 that compiles also indicates that is does not find Cavern (which is also from a recent survex version). This is why it opts for the therion loop-closure algorithm which apparently still exhibits the bug "fixed point std error causes extreme survey network distortion" that we discussed in 2013.

Le 09/09/2020 à 11:15, Bruce Mutton a écrit :
Xavier
I don't have any insights, but can confirm on my Windows 10 machine, your files
compile fine with 5.3.14, 5.3.15, 5.3.16 but crash as you describe with 5.4.1
and with recent 153d718 snapshot.  I did not check to see whether the output
looked sensible or not.
I notice that my older versions report not finding Cavern, which is installed,
but is from a recent Survex 1.2.43, so that could explain it.
Bruce

-----Original Message-----
From: Therion <therion-boun...@speleo.sk> On Behalf Of Xavier Pennec
Sent: Wednesday, 9 September 2020 09:18
To: 'List for Therion users' <therion@speleo.sk>
Subject: [Therion] Bug with uncertainty on fixed station on windows 10?

Dear all,

I have a problem with the last version of therion (after 5.3.15) on windows 10 with fixed
points endowed with a stddev.  The very short example attached is ending with an error on
the step "processing survey data" without leaving any trace (no log file, even
with the -d flag). I could just catch the attached screen capture on the fly before it
crashes. Same thing is happening with Therion 5.4.4, 5.4.2 and 5.4.1
(5.3.15 does not crashes but provides wrong results probably due to the version
of survex which is too recent). However, the attached example works well on
ubuntu with Therion 5.4.1 (with Survex 1.2.33) on a friend's computer.

Curiously, every thing works well on my windows 10 if I comment out the std dev
on the fixed points... But I really need this uncertainty as the gps measures
along a cliff are very uncertain due to reflections.

Any idea of what is going wrong and how to get around?

Thank you for any clue...

best

Xavier

--