Is it possible to draw line arrow (or other symbols) over top of areas clipped by the ‘shadow’ of labels?

Sorry, I don't have the time to test right now, so I am going to throw some ideas at you.

Try -clip off with the arrow, because that makes things get drawn later (though I think arrows already have that by default).

Try putting the arrow in a different scrap that is stacked on top ("break").

Try using line label.

Try using u-comecustomtext to create the label instead of point label (I have some custom code if you need it, but I suspect you already use that somewhere), since you can then control when it paints it.