Thanks, I forgot that I had locked my version to 3.1.x in my gemfile when I
tried to update the gem, so I hadn't noticed that I wasn't on the latest. I
feel a bit silly now. I'm now getting a different error relating to my
foreign keys (which are also uuid) not mapping to a valid sphinx type.

Is there a way around this besides adding additional fake foreign keys to
go with my fake primary keys and putting those on every model I need sphinx
to be aware of? Would there even be a way to configure thinking sphinx so
that it tried to find the associated records through those instead?
Unfortunately I genuinely do need UUID keys for this app.

~ Melody