Olivier Fourdan wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 14:05 -0800, Auke Kok wrote:
>

>>as long as Benny uses autoconf to detect the presence of GConf and then
>>use that information to turn it on or off I see no reason to provide a
>>default - this is why we use autoconf right?
>>
>>the only people who have a tough choice are the ones making binary
>>packages ;^)
>>

>Indeed, and that's the vast majority of distributions...
>
>Autoconf detects what the one who builds the binary has at the time of
>the build, which is not necessarilly what is suitable for all users.

I'm sure that for the packages who are working on platforms where GConf
is present will actually *want* to use the GConf support - I myself even
have GConf installed and running even though my desktop is purely xfce -
I just have a few gnome apps that xfce cannot replace yet - and I find
them too valuable to remove them (file-roller is a good example).

I really don't see the problem here - as long as autodetection works
(okay I admit that there should be a --disable-gconf option) there is
nothing wrong with with autoconf enabling gconf support if it detects
gconf present.

"which is not necessarilly what is suitable for all users."

yes DUH, a packager needs to think for himself too, and read the docs
and the release notes. This is hardly an issue of defaults - more one of
documentation.

Auke