> When volumes removed occurs, the volume was already unmounted, so no
> file manager window can display the contents of the volume anyway.

but if I am in the said directory and remove the media thunar will stay
there and pop up errors if I try to list the dir. That's normal since it
is gone. This is actually the use-case that prompted me to start this
thread ;)
I copy-pasted the pre-unmount hook and connected it to removed and it
behaves correctly. Seeing these signals have different prototypes
and instead of one function two very similar ones needed to be written
to handle both remove and explicit unmount lead me to ask the next question

>> Btw why added and removed work on list of volumes, could they not be
>> called once for each volume added?
>
> Better save than sorry... right now all backends add volumes one by one,
> but that may change in the future.
Even if that changes for some reason that could be done via listing them
in that backend and calling remove one by one. It just seemed simpler to
me to use one volume at a time. No lists need to be constructed and
prototypes of signals are the same. I am reading the code and am
obviously biased towards making it simpler to read so I can better
understand it ;)

>> As for the daemon VM: isn't thunar always running a single instance
>> always thanks to dbus.
>
> Only if compiled with D-BUS and the D-BUS daemon is running. Otherwise,
> there can any number of instances.

If there's no DBUS there's no HAL so we remain with the freebsd/solaris
case. If a daemon was written would it not talk via dbus too?

I agree that having a separate daemon may make maintenence easier though.

Jani