I found a solution to make it work again:

I created the folder $HOME/Templates (I deleted this empty folder some time ago
when cleaning up my home directory, not expecting this could cause
havoc...!?!?!).
In the $HOME/.config/user-dirs.dirs
file I modified the Templates setting from
$HOME to $HOME/Templates; and I ran xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update.
I logged out of Xfce and logged in again. Then everything is OK again.

However, the problem in Thunar is still there:
If I accidentally remove the $HOME/Templates directory, and the Templates
pointer instead points to another (huge?) directory, e.g. $HOME, then Thunar
is capable of completely freeze my entire system. How is that possible?
This is the worst thing a file manager can do ;).

Rob.