I use mgtd extensively for work too.  I do something a little like
Simon suggests.  If a project has become so low priority that nobody
seems to care about it,  I sometimes make it "someday/maybe".  At some
future review time, when it seems more important (perhaps because
higher priority work has been done), I promote it to active, or leave
it as someday/maybe.  In the meantime, all the actions and subprojects
are removed from my actions lists, making things clearer.

Sometimes I put a tickler in the someday/maybe project, just to remind
me to review the project, say in a month.  Tickers are always work,
even in s/m projects.  You see them in the "upcoming tickers"
dashboard and they trigger on the day.

Or if my project is waiting on another department (for example,
waiting on the network dept to make a large network change, which will
take some time, perhaps months), I sometimes make my project someday/
maybe.  All of the actions and subprojects are thus removed from my
action lists.  At weekly or monthly review time, I see that someday/
maybe project and remember to chase the department I am waiting on,
promote the project to "active" or just leave it as s/m.