> I thought that there may be a more simple way to capture the UnitName
> data using something similar to the existing <<options txtUserName>>

You can just create any such option on the fly by inserting the
respective macro call - e.g.:
     <<option txtUnitName>>
(the "txt" prefix defines the type of option as free text - the
alternative is chk for checkboxes, i.e. boolean values)

> I could have my tiddler titles Q1, Q2, etc and then generate the
> question using a similar way to the tiddler subtitle.  Is this is a
> more sensible way to go?

The question is how/when you're generating those new tiddlers - do you
intend to write a plugin for that?
For example, you could use the NewTiddler macro:
     <<option txtFoo>>
     <<newTiddler title:{{config.options.txtFoo}}>>

-- F.