Actually, lately I've been getting the "Error getting list of
tiddlers..." message too! I haven't quite looked into it, but simply
imported manually instead. Hearing that you're getting this too, I
intend to look into it some time soon (but I'm just a user, no
programmer).

As for your *sidebar*; there is no such "import tiddler" option there.
When you import something manually, you simply choose "new tiddler"
and proceed as I described above. (The "import" command is - which I
must assume you've realized - found in the 'Backstage' area, i.e by
clicking 'Backstage' in the extreme right upper corner.)

/Mat