It works for me as it is (and I just tested it in brand new, version
2.4.3, standard and mGTD tiddlywikis).  Possibly some of the confusion
stems from the fact that, inside the plugin tiddler itself, some of
what look like elements in the table of contents at the top are
actually bracketed out in the subsequent text (all the things that
start with "Heading") - so they don't work.  But other parts of the
table of contents, like "Revision History", work the way they're
supposed to.  And it will work in another tiddler.

As for the style, you can make the changes in your StyleSheet, for
example:
.dcTOC ul {
color: red;
}
.dcTOC a {
color: teal; margin-left: .5em; line-height: 2em; padding:0;
}
.dcTOC a:hover {
background: #eee;
}