This sounds very interesting, Daniel - very much looking forward to
seeing what you guys are gonna come up with.

As for the license issue, I'll poke Andrew so he can share his
(considerable) expertise.
Personally, I tend to prefer BSD just because it feels simpler and is
more compatible with other licenses - but if you want to force any
modifications* to be fed back to the project (a valid concern), GPL is
the better fit.
FWIW, BSD seems to have worked well for TiddlyWiki.

-- F.

* well, at least those those that aren't just applied internally