Alex, Paul, and others,
I appreciate your comments with respect to both governance issues and
the potential downside of introducing any kind of "performance
metrics" into a community of peers. I am hoping that you and the
broader community can help us come up find approaches to these issues
that work well for the TiddlyWiki community.

First some tiny background:
* Jeremy started TiddlyWiki on his own and remains an independent
minded technical leader of TW development even in his position at BT
Osmosoft
* Around the same time the Jeremy started TiddlyWiki I started the
UnaMesa Association and was fortunate enough to find Jeremy. Thanks to
grants from Ricoh Innovations, UnaMesa helped make it possible for
Jeremy, Eric, and other associates to spend more time helping the
community and less time worrying about paying the bills.
* Since Jeremy joined BT, BT has provided grants to the UnaMesa
Association to support the TW community.  That raises two questions:
** How best to support the community?
** How to demonstrate that support to UnaMesa funders so that they
know they are getting good value for their money.

The main reason for initiating the feedback form was to help answer
these questions.  I recognize that the feedback form has many flaws.
It would be much better if we could, for example, automatically
analyze the conversations on the groups and try to somehow show what
value was generated.  Unfortunately we haven't found anything or
anyone who could do that kind of analysis.

I also want to be clear that this is not the beginning of some kind of
"pay for help" model.  I started UnaMesa because of frustration with
the lack of good IT options for schools, clinics, social services, and
almost any kind of small business.  Most business models for software
tend to work against the interests of customers by using some soft of
"lock-in" or forced upgrade model.  Open source helps, but even there
the programmers and support personnel need to eat and they end up
adopting models like "pay for premium" or "pay for service" that again
goes against the interests of the customers.

Information technology and knowledge in general provides the most
value to "customers" when it is shared and everyone is able to
contribute and build upon each others work.  Nevertheless, programmers
"need to eat" in order for the effort to be sustainable.  So UnaMesa
is an experiment in providing software and support services freely to
communities while providing support to people who have something of
value to the community and want to contribute but would be unable to
do so without financial assistance. Of course, UnaMesa welcomes any
contributions (which go directly back into supporting the community)
but we have no intention of making money a requirement to get the best
help possible.

Like the Apache foundation and other non profits that support open
source projects, part of our mission is to operate the trac, svn, and
documentation sites at *.tiddlywiki.org.  Unlike most other groups we
actively support the community.  This includes current users of
TiddlyWiki as well as potential users such as classrooms  (e.g. the
StudentNotebook) and clinics who may not know about TW or related
technologies.  I wish we had great metrics to help us decide what's
most important and show the value created for students, patients, and
others in the community.  We don't yet and the feedback form is just
one, imperfect step to help us do it a bit better.  We welcome your
ideas and suggestions.

Lastly, one point about transparency.  UnaMesa is a virtual
organization with associates spread around the globe.  All of our
coordination happens through our project wikis which are available to
the public at http://www.projects.unamesa.org/.  On that site you can
find transcripts of our weekly conference calls and get more details
than anyone cares to know about our connections with BT and other
partners.

-Greg