> What I am trying to work out is which tiddler takes precedence and why
> colours need to be defined in both [ColourPalette and StyleSheet]

The ColorPalette is merely an auxiliary tool - that is, it doesn't have
any significance in itself, but is only relevant insofar as its slices*
are referenced from within the StyleSheet.

For example, your StyleSheet might have an entry like this:
     body {
         background-color: [[ColorPalette::Background]];
     }
This fetches the Background slice's value (e.g. "#FFF") from the
ColorPalette tiddler and inserts it in place.
Alternatively, you could define the respective color directly, right
there in the StyleSheet:
     body {
         background-color: #FFF;
     }

With the ColorPalette users can change the look of their documents
without having to dig into CSS.

Some people (primarily programmers?) like the ColorPalette indirection
to ensure consistency - although there are quite a few people who don't
like the ColorPalette at all.

In short: If you're adding custom styles or creating a new theme, you
can choose whether you want to use the ColorPalette or prefer to define
colors directly in the StyleSheet.

HTH.

-- F.

* http://tiddlywiki.org/wiki/Tiddler_Slices