Thanks Eric - that did the trick, and as an extra bonus, my pop up
nested sliders work again now! (they didn't before when I was using
the tiddler scroll thing)

A related question: Is there any way to have the jump-to-section thing
work so that the jumped-to section is highlighted like when you do a
firefox search?

gratefully yours,
Dave