Eric,

Thanks for the help; I had forgotten about this built-in function.
It's much simpler, so I tried it.

> First, create a tiddler called [[PageText]], containing:
> -----------------
> {{pages{
> | Page $1 | Notes |
> |<<tiddler  [[Entire Text##Page $1]]>>|<<notes>>|}}}
>
> -----------------
>
> Then, to invoke it, use the TW core <<tiddler>> macro, like this:
>
> <<tiddler PageText with: 1>>

However, I ran into a problem. The notes box is rendered but the "edit
notes" function does not work. It hangs. I think some signals are
getting crossed because the parameter getting passed to <<tiddler>> is
interfering with <<notes>>. . . I'm not sure. If you can puzzle it
out, I would sure like to understand why.

In the meantime, I have redone my custom macro, and it all works as I
had planned.

Thanks again,

Matthew