> Well, then, aside from placing backups in the same directory
> as the non-backup (i.e. what is expectantly the current correct
> copy), there is no way to obtain backup in Firefox.

Well, sort of.
I tend to create a dedicated sub-directory - which of course is still
located within the working directory.
FWIW, *nix systems support symlinks (redirect to an arbitrary location).

> I'll check on the absolute pathing issue, and get back to you.

Would you mind also checking whether you can target parent directories
using a relative path:
     http://tiddlywiki.org/wiki/Relative_Paths
(This works on my Linux machine.)

-- F.