I inserted the following into the UploadPluginConfig tiddler:

config.macros.option.passwordCheckboxLabel = "save"; // "Save this
password on this computer";
config.macros.upload.label.promptOption = "Save and Upload this
TiddlyWiki with UploadOptions";
config.macros.upload.label.promptParamMacro = "Save and Upload this
TiddlyWiki in %0";
config.macros.upload.label.saveLabel = "save"; // "save to web"
config.macros.upload.label.saveToDisk = "save"; // "save to disk"
config.macros.upload.label.uploadLabel = "upload"; // "upload"
//config.macros.saveChanges.label = "save"; // "save changes"

The last line, which I have commented out, is intended to change the
"save changes" label to just "save". It works well in Firefox but not
in IE7 an IE8. Can you think of any reason?

I simply adapted the first few lines from the UploadPlugin. They are
of type label.thingy. I adapted the last line from somewhere else
(some hack someone had in their tiddlywiki). It is of type
label.thingy. Could that be the problem?