One interesting thing I discovered (for anyone else following along)
is that you can have different listboxes in the same tiddler that have
the same fieldname - that works to the same purpose too.

When you pick "valueX" from "+template3" (lets say you also refer to
"+template1" and "+template2" in two other listboxes e.g.), the same
value is displayed as "other: valueX" in the other two listboxes (even
if "allowOther" is not included in the macro), and the value of the
customfield itself is "valueX".  That's pretty neat!

and now for something a little different...

Here's another idea that might make sense... what if you had an option
called "add" that was like "other" and "edit list" combined.  In other
words, you pick that and a text box opens like with "other" and then
it adds the entry to the end of the list in the source tiddler.  Would
that be desirable or easy to do?

-Dave