I can't help with identifying the problem, but your message reminded
me that I've never been able to make the FootnotesPlugin work at all
in MPTW (or MonkeyGTD).  I've just experimented again with newly
downloaded empty versions of both.  The footnote numbers appear in the
FootnotesDemo tiddler, but the footnotes themselves are invisible.
cmari