Just to add details to rouilj's point:
- It IS possible to import tiddlers from a local file (using either
the backstage import or the ImportTiddlersPlugin from
tiddlytools.com).
- What doesn't seem possible is importing tiddlers from a website.
- For reasons I don't understand, it's possible to browse to a local
folder when using the (built-in) backstage import, but not with
ImportTiddlersPlugin (one must type in the entire pathname including
"file:///" every time).  I've been assuming that whatever the problem
is, it's also the reason why I can't get either ShowLocalDirectory or
AttachFilePlugin from tiddlytools.com to work in Chrome.

cmari