analysed this quite awhile and here are my results.

afaik the macro appends layers of div's with gradiating backgrounds
after .headerForeground and .headerShadow. (try firebug or safari's
web inspector)
so I concocted this to disabled the macro completely:

.header {background:inherit}
.header div+div+div {display:none}

furthermore, to disable the shadow:
.headerShadow {visibility:hidden}

a less elegant but shorter way:
body,.headerForeground {background:#fff;width:100%}

> You can over ride the PageTemplate gradient with this in the
> StyleSheet.

> .headerShadow {color:#000;background:#f00}

using this method, a margin of the macro will still be seen, as the
shadow is offset top & left 1px.