> Is the element "p" being created? I would hazard a guess that it *is*
> being created. But in the following line the element p is not appended
> to the body but is left orphan

It is being created in-memory, but does not persist in the document.
Thus the object's memory will be deallocated (freed) when it goes out of
scope, i.e. the function ends - though that might depend on the
respective JavaScript engine's garbage collection. (I'm not an expert on
such low-level details.)

Note that jQuery's chaining can work a little different, depending on
which method is invoked.

-- F.