Hi Dave,

I made what I understand to be a minimal test case (MTC)  [1] that you can
look at - (FND can you confirm that this *is a MTC) and include an
explanation below;

Overview
-------------
To change sizes you need to edit the StyleSheet tiddler.
In your case, you can either change the width of the MainMenu or the width
of the search box.
To do this you use CSS. First need to 'select' the element you want to
change.

To find out which 'selector' you need, a good place to start is
StyleSheetLayout in shadow tiddlers.
Here you will see the TW default settings.

Steps
--------
1) In StyleSheetLayout, find, then cut and paste the MainMenu bit into
StyleSheet:

#mainMenu {position:absolute; left:0; width:10em; text-align:right;
line-height:1.6em; padding:1.5em 0.5em 0.5em 0.5em; font-size:1.1em;}

2) Then edit so that only the width remains

#mainMenu {width:10em;}

3) Then try higher values. One 'em' is one character width, like if you
think five more character spaces might do the trick try:

#mainMenu {width:15em;}

Changing Search
------------------------
To change the width of the seach follow the same process, but it is slightly
less obvious. The search box has a 'class' "txtOptionInput" - you will see
it in StyleSheetLayout as

.txtOptionInput {width:11em;}

The dot '.' means class where as '#' means ID. When there are many items its
class, when only one, its ID. This is why its '#mainMenu' - there is only
one MainMenu tiddler, where as there are a few txtOptionInput or 'text
inputs'

To change the width of your txtOptionInput in the MainMenu and not elsewhere
(in options - where you type UserName for example) you need to use both
selectors

#mainMenu .txtOptionInput {width:15em;}

But you will also then have to shift over your tiddlers. Otherwise you will
get the MainMenu overlapping the tiddlers.
So, you'll have to alter the margin on the display area, the area that
contains the tiddlers (look in PageTemplate to see how the order of the
elements)

#displayArea {margin:2em 17em 0em 25em;}

the order of the values is top, right, bottom, left. So the 25em is the left
margin, which is more than enough to hold your new wide MainMenu

Alex

[1]
https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1316865/TiddlyWiki/TiddlyWikiTestCases/MainMenuSearch.html

--